ResFrac Fundamentals Online Training
Simulate the Entire Life Cycle of an Unconventional Well with a Single Simulator
ResFrac is the only commercial code that fully integrates a true hydraulic fracturing simulator with a reservoir simulator (including geomechanics), where at every timestep all governing physics are solved simultaneously. This enables the seamless simulation of the full life-cycle of a well or pad. There are many help resources available for ResFrac users – both new and experienced, within this course and elsewhere. These resources include:
- The ResFrac “A to Z Guide” – a written document, designed to be a practical guide.
- For in-person, supported learning, we offer a quarterly in-person training course. In this four-day course, we will cover the technical basis for the modeling approach, give an overview of the software capabilities, and build example models to optimize critical aspects of well design: well spacing, cluster spacing, proppant loading, well sequencing, and more. To learn more or to register, click here.
- ResFrac Online Training support videos (found on this page, below) .
- Built-in templates – when you create a new simulation or workflow in ResFrac, there are options to start from prebuilt templates. These give starting models for different basins, and also for different application areas. Each template has a PPT deck with supporting explanation. These PPT decks can be found with your ResFrac installation in the folder “<ResFrac folder>/resources/documentation/Workflow templates”, or by selecting the gear icon in the job manager, and clicking the ‘Documentation’ button.
- The ResFrac blog –covers a wide range of topics, and often covers practical guides or discussion of key issues.
- The ResFrac Technical Writeup – a written document providing details of the technical approach used by the simulator. This document is not as ‘practical,’ but is useful if you want to look-up specific details about the simulator.
- ResFrac monthly office hours – held monthly, these presentations cover a variety of practical topics. Recordings are posted online after the fact, but to sign up for email notifications on upcoming office hours, enter your email into the “Sign up for updates” link here.
For new users
For experienced users
In this course, we will cover the technical basis for the modeling approach, give an overview of the software capabilities, and build example models to optimize critical aspects of well design: well spacing, cluster spacing, proppant loading, well sequencing, and more.
Module 1 : Setting up a simulation
In this module, we provide an overview of ResFrac Pro and walk through the entire process of setting up a simulation from start to finish. This intro-level video is designed to be a quickstart for new users, and walks through the entire workflow of creating a simulation from start to finish. You can watch the video in its entirety (top tab), or feel free to jump ahead to the chapter that you need!
Module 2: Visualization tool
In this module, we provide an overview of the ResFrac Pro visualization tool. We demonstrate how to modify the panel grid and give a walkthrough of the visualization of 3D and line plots. We also walk through the process of loading external data into the visualization tool and into your plots. This intro-level video is designed to be a quick start for new users. You can watch the video in its entirety (top tab), or feel free to jump ahead to the chapter that you need!
Module 3: Automation workflow overview
This module outlines how to set up, run and analyze results for the three automation tools in ResFrac: sensitivity analysis, automated history matching, and optimization. You can watch the video in its entirety (top tab), or feel free to jump ahead to the chapter that you need!
Module 4: Technical background
In this module, Mark McClure discusses the technical approach for ResFrac, covering planar fracture modeling vs DFN modeling, and the physics used in ResFrac. He details key physical processes for shale fracturing and production, such as fracture morphology, fluid and proppant transport in fractures in the well, as well as covering numerical details used in ResFrac and RTA, linear flow, and deviation from linear flow. You can watch the video in its entirety (top tab), or feel free to jump ahead to the chapter that you need!
Module 5: History matching
This module gives practical tips on history matching. The first video tab gives advice on how to structure a project and an overall history matching process. Don’t skip this module – it outlines keys for success! The second video tab covers the history matching ‘cheat sheet’ from the ResFrac “A to Z Guide.” It goes through different types of data that users calibrate against, and explains which variables to vary to achieve a match.
Module 6: Specific modeling topics
This module contains a series of short videos discussing the details of specific modeling topics and FAQs.